Self-esteem is one of the most important aspects influencing your performance and success in many areas of life. It can help you get a job (and keep on getting promotions!). It can help you make friends and get dates. And people with high self-esteem generally feel happier, healthier, and more stable and secure.
Don Hamachek is a highly respected author and researcher in the field of psychology. He’s had a big influence on studies of self-esteem and interpersonal relationships. His research was published in Encounters with Others (New York: Holt, Rinehart, & Wilson, 1982). Here are some of his findings on the importance of self-esteem:
People with high self-esteem . . .
- Usually see other people in a better light, too.
- Expect other people to like and accept them.
- Perform better in high pressure situations, and do better work when the standards are high.
- Feel confident and secure enough to shrug off negative comments from others.
On the other hand, people with low self-esteem . . .
- Frequently dislike others.
- Expect that other people will dislike and reject them.
- Have trouble performing under pressure, and find it hard to work in demanding environments.
- Are more vulnerable to negative comments and reactions from others.
These tendencies can spill over into all areas of a person’s life, with major consequences. That’s why self-esteem is the critical factor – it’s one of those make-or-break variables that has the power to transform your life, for good or bad. High self-esteem is a little like a magic spell that works in any number of situations.
If you’re struggling in any area of your life, whether personal or professional, it’s possible that your problems are just symptoms of a bigger problem: low self-esteem. Find a way to improve your self-esteem, and you can expect things to start improving in lots of ways.
Core Inner Strength, a hypnosis program developed by Dr. Shirley McNeal, is a fun and easy way to improve your self-esteem. In just four hypnotic sessions, you will discover the life-changing secrets behind experiencing comfort and safety in yourself, raising your self-esteem and self-confidence, and finding your inner strength.